One Wacky Weekend
My how things can change with just three games over the weekend. Going in to the Arkansas series, Auburn was looking at taking just one and staying afloat and on pace for the SEC Tournament. Now, after taking 2 of 3 from the Hogs in Fayetteville, Auburn has a legit shot at taking the SEC West Crown and possibly hosting an NCAA Regional.
That's a ton of breathing room between Auburn and the 9th place team (Tennessee): A full 3 games plus UT still has to come to Plainsman Park next weekend. As for the teams above us, Arkansas and Ole Miss are going to cancel each other out:
|CAROLINA||@UK, @ARK, UF|
|FLORIDA||@UA, UGA, @SC|
|ARKANSAS||@UM, SC, @VU|
|OLE MISS||ARK, @UA, AU|
|AUBURN||MSU, UT, @UM|
|LSU||VU, @UK, MSU|
|VANDERBILT||@LSU, @MSU, ARK|
|ALABAMA||UF, UM, @UT|
|TENNESSEE||@UGA, @AU, UA|
|KENTUCKY||SC, LSU, @UGA|
|MISS. ST||@AU, SC, @VU|
|GEORGIA||UT, @UF, UK|
- In fact, Arkansas and Ole MIss will cancel each other out this upcoming weekend. One of those teams will drop that series and whoever does with fall behind Auburn in the SEC West (if the Tigers take care of business against MSU this weekend). Same goes for LSU and Vanderbilt, the two teams right below Auburn.
- Carolina's schedule include a brutal last two weekends when they take on two teams that will be probably be ranked in the Top 10 when they play.
- Same for Arkansas. The Hogs will have to rebound quick. They play the SEC West's top team this weekend and the SEC East's top team the next.
- What has happened to LSU? The Bengals have lost 7 straight games, including SEC sweeps by Ole MIss and Florida and a midweek loss to New Orleans. Thankfully for the Tigers, if they can bounce back and take care of Vandy this weekend, then the schedule should lighten up a bit.
- Watch out for Tennessee. The Vols are going to be a dark horse, but it will all depend on this weekend. If UT takes (and possibly sweeps) Georgia, then the Big Orange will be red hot coming in to Auburn. They are slowly creeping up to that last spot in the Tourney, with Bama still to come and just a game back. UT has stolen series from Ole MIss, Vandy, and Kentucky and can be dangerous.
- Poor Vandy. I have a feeling missing those two games against UGA will severely hurt their chances for the SEC tournament. Playing UGA the 'Dores could have easily swept and been positioned in 5th place with the tiebreaker over Auburn. Now? They are stranded at 7th and are essentially two wins behind everyone else.
- It will be an interesting finish, but the first step if Friday against Mississippi State. Tigers get the sweep and we are guaranteed 2nd place in the SEC West.